Adding Lighting Fixtures in SoundSwitch
Setting up your lighting fixtures in SoundSwitch is an essential step in creating dazzling light shows. Here's a straightforward guide to adding your lighting fixtures:
1. Access the Fixture Library:
- Begin by clicking the plus icon located on the right-hand side of the screen.
2. Select Your Fixture:
- In the Fixture Library, find the make and model of your lighting fixture. Once you've located it, drag and drop it into the workspace.
3. Fixture Track and Menu:
- After adding the fixture, you will notice a new Fixture Track has been created within the workspace.
- A new Fixture Menu will also appear on the right-hand side of the screen, which allows you to configure and control the lighting fixture.
4. Matching DMX Addresses:
- To ensure smooth communication between SoundSwitch and your lighting fixture, you must match the DMX channel address of the fixture to its entry in the SoundSwitch workspace.
- To set the DMX address for your fixture, simply double-click on the fixture located in the workspace. SoundSwitch will prompt you to input the fixture address.
- You can find the DMX address typically displayed on the back of your lighting fixture.
5. Understanding DMX Channel Modes:
- Lighting fixtures can be configured in more than one channel mode. Each mode may offer different levels of control over the fixture's DMX functions.
- For example, Mode 1 might use 18 channels and allow control of individual pixels within the fixture, while Mode 2 might use 5 channels and control the entire light as one unit.
- Keep in mind that adding fixtures with more channels consumes more of the 512 available DMX channels.
If you encounter any issues or if some of your lights are not behaving as expected, here are some common troubleshooting steps:
1. DMX Mode or Channels Configuration:
- Incorrectly set DMX modes or channels can lead to unexpected behavior in your fixtures. Ensure that these settings match your fixture's requirements.
2. Cross Patching:
- "Cross Patching" is a common issue where the DMX channels of one fixture overlap with another, causing problems with DMX output. Cross-patching can disrupt the behavior of your lighting.
- When you have cross-patched fixtures, the DMX icon in the tool display will turn yellow. You can check for cross-patched fixtures in the DMX map.
- If you find any cross-patched fixtures, resolve the overlap issue by adjusting the DMX channels, as shown below:
- Ensure your DMX channels are correctly configured and not overlapping to achieve smooth lighting control.
3. Missing Fixtures:
- If your specific lighting fixture is not already in the SoundSwitch software, don't worry. You can request to add it by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org, and providing the brand and model details.
- If you're having trouble finding the DMX address for your fixture, consider watching the video tutorial linked below for guidance.
- Additionally, learning the basics of DMX can help you navigate and troubleshoot DMX-related issues efficiently.
With these steps, you can easily add and configure your lighting fixtures in SoundSwitch, ensuring your light shows are synchronized and spectacular.